SomatoEmotional Release (SER)® is a therapeutic process that uses and expands on the principles of CranioSacral Therapy to help rid the mind and body of the residual effects of trauma. SER1 offers ways to enhance the results you get from using CST and expand the areas in which it can be useful. By the end of the course, you should be able to help clients dissipate residual effects of past trauma and negative emotional events, which is often necessary to allow many people to let go of the deepest causes of pain and illness.
To get to this you will learn more techniques to release the tissues of the mouth and throat and why this is so important. You will find out more about the physiological mechanism of disease, learn specific techniques for finding and releasing energy cysts and how to incorporate the craniosacral rhythm into this level of work.
The other key part of the SER process is the ability to use imagery and dialogue. As you explore some of the ways to do this, your improved listening and comprehension skills will increase your understanding of verbal and non-verbal signals. This, in turn, will help to encourage clients to work cooperatively with you in this process and become active in improving their own health. During this course you will participate in numerous hands-on experiences to practice facilitating the process of SomatoEmotional Release®.
What you will learn from coming on this course:
- An introduction to and a historical review of the development of the concepts of energy cysts and SomatoEmotional Release®
- How to refine and improve your whole body evaluation palpation skills to locate and release energy cysts
- How to assess and mobilize what is dubbed the ‘Avenue of Expression’ (i.e. the vocal apparatus), to aid expression and release of suppressed emotion, using techniques that address the thoracic inlet and hard palate learned in CST1 & 2 as well as new ones to treat the hyoglossal tissues (floor of the mouth)
- An introduction to the idea and use of therapeutic imagery and the principles and practice of dialogue
- How to integrate imagery and dialogue techniques with the process of SomatoEmotional Release®
- How to integrate this with the core skills of CranioSacral Therapy and the unique way to ensure a treatment is effective and on track
- Overall this course will take your treatments to a new level. For some people it can be a very new way to work, while others will find it more familiar, but it is the integration of the imagery and dialogue with the special features of the craniosacral system that give SomatoEmotional Release® its edge and make it worth talking about!
CST2 and at least 25 experiences of practicing all of the techniques taught there.
Required Advance Reading
CranioSacral Therapy 2, Beyond the Dura by John E. Upledger, DO, OMM
SomatoEmotional Release & Beyond by John E. Upledger, DO, OM
Getting To Yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury
The venue for September's course is currently the Studio in Wrington. However, it does depend on numbers. So if you are wanting to join the class please let us know so that we can find a venue appropriate for numbers far enough in advance. Thanks.